Illness Policy and Medication Forms

Illness or Accident at School

In case of an accident requiring the services of a doctor, we request that parents keep us informed of any changes of address or phone numbers. We will make every effort to contact a parent before the child is taken to a doctor. If it is necessary for a student to go home because of illness, contagious health problem, or injury, the parent or person listed on the emergency form will be requested to pick the child up in the office. Please remember that we cannot keep a seriously ill child at school. In the event of a serious illness or accident, school personnel will:

  1. Contact parents when possible.
  2. Contact other authorized persons listed on the child’s emergency card, if possible.
  3. Contact child’s physician if above persons cannot be reached.
  4. In extreme emergencies, an ambulance will be called, and the child will be taken directly to the hospital. The parents will be contacted.

As you can see, it is ESSENTIAL that contact numbers be CURRENT so parents or their designated substitute can be contacted immediately for decisions regarding illness or injury. If parents have special requests for the emergency plan for their child, they should contact the school office.

Student Emergency Contact Forms

Emergency contact forms are sent home with each child as part of the school packet at the beginning of the school year. Please fill out this card and return it to school as soon as possible.

 Emergency Release Information Card

During the school year, please send a note immediately if there are any changes to the emergency information, such as address, phone numbers, and/or change of responsible contacts. Unfortunately, your child is the one who will suffer if injuries or illnesses occur and we are unable to reach anyone.

Medical Forms

Medical treatment is the responsibility of the parent and the family physician. Medications are rarely given at school. The parent is urged to work with the physician to plan a medication schedule for non-school hours. If it is an absolute necessity that medication be given at school:

  1. We MUST have a written statement from the doctor “detailing the method, amount, and time schedule by which medication is to be taken” (Education Code 49423)
  2. A signed release from the parents for the school to assist in administering medication.
  3. Medication must be in a pharmacy container, labeled with the student’s name; the name of the medication; proper dosage and instructions; name of the prescribing physician; name of the pharmacy or manufacturer who dispensed the medication.

Forms are available in the school office or you can download the online Cragmont Medication Authorization Form below. (This is also the policy for over the counter drugs, such as aspirin, eye drops, cough drops, etc.). These forms must be renewed each school year.

 Cragmont Medication Authorization Form

  • Facebook Button

    Cragmont on Facebook